I play guitar. I suppose I could claim semi-pro status, as I have been in a band that got paid for gigs, but that was the exception more than the rule.
I'm good enough that sometimes people will tell me they like what I do. I'm lousy enough that I've thrown the guitar in the corner in frustration.
But over the years I've been through enough cycles of rehearsals and gigs with a few bands that I finally figured out what used to be a mystery to me: why are some of the rehearsals - especially, always, the last rehearsal before a gig - so goddamn horrible, while the gigs go well?
After nearly 20 years - my hobbies go into hibernation at times - I finally figured it out: It's adrenaline - induced by the presence of a crowd.
It makes all the difference. Fewer mistakes are made, they are recovered from faster, and sometimes when the band loosens up in a jam, some bit of musical magic can happen.
The last rehearsal before the gig has all the downside - nerves, desire to work out all the bugs, "it's about time to do this right, dammit!" - but not the crowd. The gig has the crowd, and for me and at least some of the other folks I played with, that makes all the difference.
And it appears that this is the case with Sarah Palin. In a room with Katie Couric and a camera, it's dress rehearsal time - all nerves and no buzz.
Put her in front of a crowd - even opposing a guy with 35+ years of experience having the night of his life - and she is a force to be reckoned with.
Get this woman onto "The View" post-haste - she will make mince-meat of Whoopie and the other lefties.
Yes there was a really jarring change of subject. (But they all do that.) Yes there was a brief echo of the "what other Supreme Court decisions" horror - but she pulled out of it and kept on trucking.
And let her do one-on-one interviews again - but only in front of a live audience.
My name is Bob N. and I am an adrenaline addict!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind.” - Bob Marley
Violent Black Mobs
Terrorism and Radical Islam links
- ► 2009 (37)
- I'm Bored....
- When you're in a hole, STOP DIGGING
- "One cannot rule out a systemic collapse and a glo...
- All Roubini All the Time
- Treasury Bailout: A Den of Thieves
- My Opinion on What McCain Should Do to Win
- An Explanation of the Senseless Bailout?
- Throw the Bums OUT!
- Pelosi: NOW we're going to have hearings!
- FUCK CONGRESS! FUCK BUSH! FUCK PAULSON!
- It's the Audience, Stupid!
- How the Paulson Plan HURTS CREDIT MARKETS
- More on the Idiotic "CRA-and-GSEs-Caused-This" Mem...
- House was Right to Reject the Fatally Flawed Pauls...
- ▼ October (14)
- I'm a 57 year old geek. I voted Democratic for 20 years, because I disliked the Republicans more. But now, nobody really speaks for me. I'm for Guns, for more correct government regulation of the financial world, against illegal immigration and amnesty. (in 2008 I ended up voting Republican - too many questions about Obama, and voting against anybody who voted for TARP 1.) In 2010 I voted a stright republican ticket because the Democrats have completely lost their minds.